Friday 9 March 2018

Books are becoming everything to me

SHARE
Books are becoming everything to me. If I had at this moment my choice of life, I would bury myself in one of those immense libraries that we saw together at the universities, and never pass a waking hour without a book before me.
Lord Macaulay, in a letter to his sister Margaret.
“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?” 
George Carlin, quoted by Alex Woodcock-Clarke.
"Those who don't make a conscious effort to be authentic usually have style." 
Taki.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." 
Confucius.

Martial 3.53 
Et vultu poteram tuo carere
et collo manibusque cruribusque
et mammis natibusque clunibusque,
et, ne singula persequi laborem,
tota te poteram, Chloe, carere.
Translated by Dudley Fitts: 
Take oh take that face away,
That neck away, those arms away,
Hips and bottom, legs and breast—
Dear, must I catalogue the rest?
Take, Chloe, take yourself away.

Semiotic Stochastic‏ @mitdasein It’s easy to assume that people who disagree with you are merely stupid, but you should always remember that plenty of people who agree with you are also stupid.

2 comments:

  1. Are we to assume that these quotations have been chosen to reflect views of your own??

    ReplyDelete
  2. No - copying quotations onto this blog never means I endorse them. However, Lord Macaulay was a very close 'silent friend' in my early teens and his passionate love of books was one I shared. A bachelor life in Albany with many books seemed to me the summit of human happiness. This quotation is a reminder. To know what makes you happy remember what you wanted in your teens.

    Not since my teens the internet has made reading books much much harder to accomplish. On the other hand, I and most people read much more but on the internet. I find the internet a miraculous library but very unsatisfying, unlike a good book.

    ReplyDelete